Monday, August 24, 2009

The Woodworking Holiday and Wainscotting with a Biscuit Jointer

I just got back from my summer vacation. If you have been following the blog then you probably noticed the big gap in posts. It was a good break. Yet, as so often happens, I went on holiday from this job only to find myself working at another.

A friend of mine pulled me in to do some wainscoting on his house. It wasn't a big job and it didn't take long. What is of interest though, is that this is the first time I have done wainscoting with a biscuit jointer. Last time I did some wainscoting it was of a style that didn't accommodate the use of a biscuit jointer and the time before that was before the biscuit jointer was a 'common tool'.

I like the biscuit jointer. I always have. From the first time I saw it used, to my first cheap jointer, to the top notch machine I wield now. I like it. It is a good machine that makes very specific woodworking practices super easy.

This was no different. The wainscoting was a classic rail and stile pattern with a cove trim and flat oak panel. Simple, elegant, and beautiful. From the word 'go' I knew I was going to use the biscuit jointer on this project. I made some design decisions around the fact. When it finally came time to do the project I was absolutely delighted. The biscuit jointer came through for me again. It made quick and accurate work of both the end joints on the rail and stile and the corner face joints.

If you are thinking of putting some wainscoting in your home I highly recommend getting your hands on a biscuit jointer. You can always get one from us at Woodtoolstore.com