Monday, June 1, 2009

From Firewood to Furniture

Every woodworker knows that finding just the right source for your wood can be tricky. The lumber store sometime just doesn't have what you want. Recently I had the most unusual experience.

I was at a relative's home. They had a big pile of firewood in the yard. We happened to be standing near the pile having a conversation but my eyes kept drifting to the wood pile. Finally he asked what I was looking at. In the woodpile were several huge logs, both long and wide, and even from the end cut I could tell the grain was spectacular. It was just another log to him.

In the end, I came home with some choice pieces of birch in my vehicle. I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do with them so they sat for quite a while in my shop. Eventually a project presented itself.

I had to make useable lumber from what was essentially raw timber. Of course, the first thing I did was reach for the woodworkers first solution. I made a jig. I made a jig for the band saw so that I could cut nice 5/4 and 3/4 stock off the logs - slightly oversized of course. Next I cut my edges on the table saw. Once I had my rough lumber it was a simple matter of running them through the planer and jointer to make some of the best birch lumber I have used in years.

Becuase I was working with the source material I was able to nicely bookmatch my panel. I also had more than enough material so I was able to waste some in order to get the angles on the grain just perfect. In the end I produced a fantastic birch piece with the best looking grain patterns that have come out of my workshop in a long time. There would have been no way that I could have produced the same result with store bought lumber.

Never let your eyes rest. You never know when you are going to come across your next piece of timber.