Thursday, June 4, 2009

I hate computers, I love wood!

So we had a disaster over here at the office. The computer we use for both the blog and for running the actual online store, Woodtoolstore.com, blew up. Quite literally, I was working on the site - adding items and bringing you more great tools at discount prices - when, pop, it sounded like a small handgun went off. Components actually exploded!

Why am I telling you this? Simple, as we were repairing (and replacing), the old machine I started comparing working with wood to working with computers. Now, I am a woodworker by trade, so I might be biased but wood is so much better to work with. Wood working brings joy to the craftsman. Sure from time to time you might get a little frustrated if you make a mistake, but that is the low end. Most of the time, wood working is producing a thing of beauty, and you can see the fine product slowly forming in your hands. Computers . . . well frustration is the de facto emotion! At best you are nervous that something is going to crash, at worst you see the blue screen of death and feel like tossing the infernal contraption through the window.

Looking inside the machine all I saw was a mess of wires and components. It was an ugly sight. By comparison, I relish the opportunity to peek inside a fine piece of carpentry. I love to see the structure and frame. I take joy in spying the tricks and techniques of another craftsman.

In the end, I need computers . . . I love wood.