Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Most Important Tool

One of the most common questions I get asked by friends, work associates, and fellow woodworkers is, 'What is the most important tool for a workshop?' It really is a good question. For someone who is just starting a woodworking shop, or is looking to upgrade some tools it is good to know where to invest their money.

By far, the most important tool for any workshop is the table saw. There are very few projects that do not go through the table saw. Of course, the table saw is one of the biggest ticket items for the workshop. If you can't afford a table saw you can sometimes make do with a circular saw and a cutting guide. But, this is really just a poor substitute that can only do half of the things you need it to, and it does those poorly.

After the table saw, the most important tool you can own is a good router. Preferably, with a router table. The router can be used to cut dadoes, substitute as a jointer, function as a circle cutter, and about a thousand other jobs as well.

Finally, I don't think I've ever made a project that didn't need clamps. I use clamps to hold pieces while I work, I use them in dry fitting, I use them for glue up, I even use them to hold other tools out of the way some times. I don't think a woodworker can have too many clamps.

With these three item, a table saw, a router, and a good selection of clamps, any decent craftsman can get to work.