Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer Jobs

Let's face it, as woodworkers, we sometimes do jobs that aren't exactly fine furniture projects. Sure, we would all love to spend every minute crafting some marvelous piece, but the reality is that projects come up that are more along the line of construction than woodworking. I call these jobs instead of projects. They are jobs even if they are something I need to do around the house. Just because I'm not getting paid doesn't mean I don't consider it a toilsome grind . . . that is to say, a job.

So, what job is on my mind? Re-roofing the garage. The shingles are a mess! I would love to hire an outsider but, why pay for someone to do what I, myself can easily do. Roofing is one of those things that crosses my mind every time summer rolls around. I don't know why. It just seems that as soon as the weather heats up my eyes start traveling to rooftops.

I don't want to do the garage. No one ever wants to climb up on a roof and toil away. Yet, what better time is there but now. Plus it gives me an excuse to buy another tool. There is a very nice Air Coil Roofing Nail Gun on sale at the store right now as part of the summer promotion. I wonder if they put this on sale just for me. Everyone at Woodtoolstore.com knows that I need to do the garage. Are they helping me out? Or, are they just tempting me?

Anyway, summer is here and that means all sorts of jobs are rearing their heads. How about you? What nasty jobs do you have to do?