Monday, June 8, 2009

Lathe: toy or tool?

Alright, I admit it, more often than not when I use the lathe it is more of a toy. The call for turned pieces is rare for most woodworkers. sure, there are some folks that specialize in turning, but that is not me.

Most of my projects are cabinet pieces. Bookshelves, wall units, entertainment centers, heck even furniture pieces like hutches and dressers. All of these tend to follow the more box-like construction of cabinet making. Even my fanciest projects (I'm about to start on a grandfather clock) rarely use the lathe.

Not that I never use the lathe. I've had projects requiring at least some turning. I'll often throw in a turned element to dress up a project. For example, I usually turn the upright on the armrest of benches and seating. I once made a deacon's bench where I turned the uprights to match the stair posts in the clients home.

By for the most fun project I have ever had was for the Government of Alberta. I replicated two copies of the official mace of Alberta for their information services and mock parlament. Of course, this project had all sorts of unique and challenging components, but a big part of it was turning the maces. It was a great job! I loved every minute.

These sorts of projects, though, are the exception. In spite of this, if asked what my favorite woodworking activity is . . . I will invariably answer that I love to work on the lathe. I know this to be true for many other woodworkers too. My father, for one, loves his lathe; though he rarely needs to use it. There is just something about turning wood that calls to the craftsman. How about you? Is the lathe a toy or a tool?